Friday, April 25, 2008

Go green--for the environment and your pocket

Someone has asked me to give some ideas to busy moms for how to be green on a budget. So here goes:

1) Cloth diapering! I know that most of us feel uncomfortable thinking about this. But I promise it's not nearly as gross or difficult as it sounds. It isn't for everyone, but many of us can do it, but haven't considered it. And there are so many reasons to do so! A few examples:
  • saves you money! Sams cloth nappies cost the same as 4 mo of disposables.
  • helps the environment. Each child produces an average of 8-10,000 diapers before potty training. That's an incredible waste! And they aren't biodegradable.
  • safer and more comfortable for baby.
Here's a link to sam's diapers, which we are very happy with. Cloth diapers have come a long way! Check this out:
http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=98&products_id=1279
2) Use Vinegar and baking soda for cleaning! Honestly, I've found that this works better than most commercial cleaners. Here are two pages of ideas:
http://www.vinegartips.com/cleaning/
http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/bakingsoda
3) recycle. Duh. =)
4) reusable bags for shopping. You can buy them for a buck at any grocery store these days. But if you want to invest, baggu's are wonderful (very convenient. I just keep them in a storage bag in my car):
http://baggubag.com/index.html
5) Use reusable glass storage containers for food where possible, and buy in bulk.
6) Use old cloths for cleaning instead of paper towels.
7) Switch to CFL (energy saving) light bulbs. They have a higher initial cost but save energy and money in the long run.
8) Buy local and organic when in season, and freeze. Also only buy organic on things that matter. Here's a list:
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/54-55/organic
9) walk, bike or ride-share whenever possible.
10) buy a water purifier for your faucet instead of using bottled water. (I did some research and found that this is as safe or safer, and cuts way down on both cost and waste!)
Well, there are the ones that I've tried to impliment. =) If anyone would like me to go into further detail on any point, just let me know. Hope that encouraged you!

2 comments:

Christie M said...

Becca love the white sandals and red stockings. :)

Are the bags really sturdy?

We found bags at www.lehmans.com

a set of 2 for 12.00. They hook over the cart and I have been using them for about a year. They fold into a purse type thingy with velcro.
But I like the stripes. :)

I used vinegar and baking soda for years when we were too poor for anything else.

I have stories about a 300.00 bathroom cleaning job.

Rebecca said...

yeah, they are sturdy and have nice big handles! pretty colors too. but yes, very pricey.

my mom gave them to me for christmas. =)

i love your baking soda story. sad, but so funny!