Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The world has changed...

...for the better! You probably haven't heard that much. We often tend to see the negative and only focus on all the work that lies ahead of us in this life. I have observed something lately and wanted to share it by way of encouragement...

Today I was reflecting on trips to the "Health food store" as a child with my Mom. (Way to go, Mom, for being crunchy way ahead of her time!) This involved driving in our car for what seemed like an eternity to go to some sketchy hole in the wall run by stoned hippies. There were shelves of strange concoctions, crudely labeled, with high pricetags. And some prepared foods. I think I recall honey sticks and fruit leather--both of which always looked appealing but were inevitably a disappointment. I don't think there was ANY fresh food at these stores? I didn't learn the word "organic" until "Fresh Fields" (which eventually became WholeFoods) moved into Annapolis in the 90's.

NOW... a huge variety of healthy foods exist, and are readily available! Right down the street I have an excellent small organic market. Whole foods and Trader Joe's are 15 minutes away. And EVERY grocery store has a "health food" section and a huge selection of quality produce. Not to mention the farmers markets in every neighborhood! There are tons of delicious, healthy options. I love this. And this is when you KNOW the world has changed... when you go to Costco and find "UDI gluten-free" bread in the freezer! (Along with soy milk, natural peanut butter, organic chicken, etc) People have been using there buying power to make better choices, and now even the big guys are taking the hint. :) Keep it up, people!

1 comment:

The Manse Hen said...

Aww Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I wonder which one's you are recalling? Though Honestly the description fits them all fairly well! The mist " headshop" of the bunch were two out near U if M.. Smile herband one whose name I forget that had a wee food counter as well. The oldest one in your memory would be the one on west street, what wss it called? I want to say good earth or some such. Then there was the one is Severna Park... Harry I think ran it..near Szechuan place snd Peter Rabbits in Rehoboth Harry did have produce. In those days it was unpredictable what they'd have and organic meant often half wilted, small and mediocre. I don't think they had the processes down yet. You know what I miss? Two things, being able to get a fresh carrot juice with apple ( that cute bright and clean place that ysed to be on annapolis st and Melvin?) had such and those carob covered rice cakes that I'd put pb on! You are right, huge improvement!!!