Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies

Yes, I know I've been M.I.A. for an eternity. I have a few things I'd like to say, but haven't been organized enough to keep up with the basics of wifedom/motherhood. So alas, they will have to wait a bit longer. But since I wanted to write this recipe out anyway, I figured I'd post it for you to enjoy. Since I last wrote, my husband has gone Gluten-Free and I've had to let go of dairy again. It has been a crazy adventure, but our health is greatly improved. 

I adapted these from the Gluten-Free Goddess blog. They were absolutely delightful! Here is the original recipe: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/01/dark-chocolate-brownies.html (They looked just like her photo, too!)

And here is what I did :)

Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Brownies 
{Gluten-free & dairy free}
Ingredients:

5 ounces dark chocolate (check ingredients for dairy)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/4 cup hazelnut flour (almond would probably be fine too)
1/2 cup gluten free baking flour mix of your choice (I love Better Batter)
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla
hazelnuts, to taste
chocolate chips, if desired.

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x8-inch square baking pan with foil and lightly oil the bottom.

Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat, gently stirring. (or melt at half power in microwave, stirring occasionally. This is what I did.) 

In a mixing bowl whisk together the brown sugar, flours, salt and baking soda. Make a well in the center and add the beaten eggs, vanilla extract and melted dark chocolate mixture. Beat on low-medium for two minutes, until the batter begins to come together. Beat until it thickens and becomes smooth and glossy. Gently stir in hazelnuts. Place in pan and top with chocolate chips.


Bake at 350 for 32 to 35 minutes, or until the brownies are set. The top should look cracked when done. 

Cool on a wire rack; and remove the cooled brownies from the pan by gripping the foil edges and lifting the brownies out as a whole.

Allow to cool for an hour before cutting if you don't want them to fall apart.

Yield: 12-16 servings


No comments: